[SERIES] Her OC:DC The Beginning
Good evening my forest friends, I do hope you are ready for a ride for I have decided to start a series called Her OC: DC (Own Characters: Design Challenge). Be prepared to meet all my old own characters that I have created since 2001, a range of childish like mary-sue characters to the more down to earth unearthly characters - welcome to the rabbit hole of my mind.
I have decided to bring back some of my notable OCs to dissect them and psychoanalyze them to see if they carried certain traits for certain reasons. I will be using the basic character profile template for all of my characters and try to keep everything as simple as I possibly can. No doubt some of these OCs will be extremely cringe-worthy, but heck - what so bad about a little a cringe in our life? We will be taking a look at how I used to design them, personality and all, starting with the first character I've ever created, Itsuki Haraku.
Saying that name makes me cringe inwardly. Oh god. Strap on folks, you are in for a ride.
Name: Itsuki Haraku (Her siblings call her Haru)
Age: 13 years old
Place of birth: Itsuki Clan, Konoha
Birthday: 29 Feb
Occupation: Genin Ninja
Opinion of other people in general: Haraku is friendly and amicable, always willing to talk to anyone she sees and excited to meet people. She gets more enthusiastic when she finds anyone who can beat her in a match, spurred by challenges.
Occupation: Genin Ninja
Siblings: Haruki, Hikaru, Takumi, Kakami
Physical appearance:
Itsuki Haraku is a slender built female with ice-blue eyes and ruffled dark mahogany hair. She keeps her thin hair tied up in a slim ponytail. A deep tattoo of the Itsuki's clan symbol is carved on her left arm, inked in a murky black, a little faded. She wears a maroon red shirt with asymmetrical sleeves, one covering her right arm and the other sleeveless. A tattered bandage is wrapped around her left arm as well, seemingly covering something else up. Her bottoms are asymmetrical as well, a black loosely fit sweat pants that run down her left leg and the other side half-torn. Like all other ninjas in Konoha, she wears the Konoha headband proudly on her forehead, some of her dishevelled locks running down the sides, covering up most of it.
Personality:
Haraku is a happy-go-lucky, loud and friendly girl - the world's biggest extrovert who most people call tomboyish. She is extremely confident and often rowdy, often picking fights with her other classmates just for the heck of it. Even though arrogant, she does have a reason to be - at the top in her cohort with unmatched levels of skill in Ninjutsu and Genjutsu. Because she's incredibly talented, Haraku tends to fall under the category of a lazyass, being unmotivated when there's training that doesn't involve any fighting. While she keeps up a patronizing persona, she has a soft side for her four siblings. She dotes on her youngest brother the most, bringing him out to eat ice cream desserts because she knows it's his favourite. She can be unnecessarily protective over her siblings as well, outwardly scaring suitors that come by looking for her sisters.
Good personality traits: Intelligent, courageous, confident, loyal, friendly, adventurous
Bad personality traits: Lazy, arrogant, aggressive, bossy, blunt and rash
Character's greatest joy in life: Winning fighting tournaments
Character's greatest fear: Losing anything
What single event would most throw this character's life into complete turmoil: The loss of her siblings
Life motto: Never be afraid to make that jump
Skills: Able to copy anyone's move set and skills
Past:
Itsuki Haraku and her four siblings are the sole survivors of a clan wipeout. The massacre happened when she was only six. That distinct day, Haraku was awoken by her parents in the middle of the night, her father rushing her out of her bed and her mother hurriedly telling her to take all of her siblings to a safe house they had nearby. "Promise me, Haru," her mother whispered, grabbing the young girl's hand, "that no matter what happens, protect your brothers and sisters." Haraku, disorientated and dizzy, promised with a nod and gathered her siblings, into the night, away from their village. It was when the siblings woke the next day that they stumbled back to the village, only to find it covered in bloodshed, the entire clan completely massacred. Haraku swore to find the killers and make them pay, training hard to become a powerful ninja to avenge her entire clan.
Favourites:
Colour: Red
Least favourite colour: Pink
Food: Dango
Form of entertainment: Genjutsu training
Relationships with others:
Opinion of other people in general: Haraku is friendly and amicable, always willing to talk to anyone she sees and excited to meet people. She gets more enthusiastic when she finds anyone who can beat her in a match, spurred by challenges.
Does the character hide his/her true opinions and emotions from others?: Haraku is someone who would never hide her emotions and she loudly declares how she feels regardless of the other person's feelings.
Person character most hates: The entirety of the Akatsuki
Best friend(s): Her siblings
Love interest(s): (Honestly wish I could answer but there are like 5 versions of this OC and it ranges from Neji to Sasori)
So there we go, a basic introduction of my first ever OC. I have written about 6-7 fanfictions about her adventures and unfortunately, younger me has never really figured out who killed her entire clan. 14 year old me, however, did make a note that says there's a possibility that Haraku kills her entire clan instead of some outsider - but it never made it into any of the books.
Now before you throw up, yes I wrote this during the era when Naruto was all the craze. I remember watching weekly episodes with my brother and my mother and was inspired to create a pretty mary-sue like character because no one has actually ever beaten this kid. She also realises she is a ten-tailed wolf or something much later in the series. Bringing that up makes me die a little inside.
I was back in Primary school when I started writing my own fanfictions about this OC, relying a lot of her character traits (and her siblings) on my own personality *(and my family). For example, Primary School Evelyn was excitable and happy-go-lucky - so obviously so is Haraku. Kakami was based on my own brother, who enjoyed reading and science - so Kakami was an intelligent ninja with over 3000 IQ or smth, who might've been the youngest Itsuki, but the most rational.
At the same time, while young Evelyn was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, she was very shy in her early Primary days. I made Haraku into this loud overtly friendly overpowered mary sue because I guess I wanted to feel like that. Perhaps I wasn't super confident as a child and wanted to give my alter ego something I didn't have. I wanted to be loud and friendly but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. (until much later in my life)
There are, however, some traits I did share with Haraku that were directly picked out from my younger self. As a kid, I took care of my younger cousins and brother whenever we went out together. I believe my parents appointed me as their leader (of some sort) and I was the one who constantly created scenarios for us to play at the playground or their guide up Bukit Timah's trek. I was the one that lead the way most of the time and I protected them from the bullies at the playground (esp my bro). I guess I was proud of myself quite a bit back then, to be able to be this figure for my younger family members.
I was also profoundly boyish back in my childhood, always delighted to hear when people called me a tomboy. I was very rough and rowdy with my older cousins, we would have stupid sparring matches that made my grandma very angry lol. I refused to wear skirts, Haraku also refuses to wear a dress for some weird ninja prom - I hated having long thick hair so I tried to cut it and thin it like Haraku; WHICH FAILED MISERABLY BTW because I did layers and my straight locks have never come back since.
This character isn't a complex one, unfortunately. I was just a mere child and honestly, I probably relied a lot of my character designing skills on whatever OCs others were making on Quizilla. I still have a soft spot for Haraku, of course, she is and will always be my very first OC. The next few characters will showcase my development as a teenager and my introduction to angst LOL. Ah yes, the emo days.
You will probably see me grow as my OCs do, for we are one and the same.
Till the next part of the series,
x
evelyn




0 comments