MY HAIR JOURNEY


HELLO!

Let's see why I've never been able to appreciate my fringe okay? Welcome to Evelyn's hell aka, my hair timeline which will include various horrible photos of myself but to you sadists, it's heaven for blackmail.

BE PREPARED, lots of self portraits ahead and ugliness. If your heart cannot take it, do not read on.

WE SHALL START WITH 2003 because that's the year before I decided to lose all of my straightness. I've kept my hair long because I was a ballerina and needed the hair for some reason.

Honestly, I've never been blessed with a long thick luxurious mane to be perfectly honest. When I was a wee little lass, my hair's thickness has always been very average, thin and sleek straight. But as you can tell from the photographs, my fringe has never ever been something nice.

I swear my fringe is cursed to be forever weird looking. I've never been blessed with a nice haircut that doesn't grow out to become a monstrous piece of poo - because of that, I've got this thing called the "holy fringe" which basically translates roughly as "her fringe is so thin there's literal gapes in between".


Walao why do I look so cute then and look like shit now?


This is me in NZ and I'm feeling super homesick rn 
btw there's normal nz breakfast - soup and breading



ONE VERY DAY in Primary 5 (2005) I cut my shoulder length hair to something resembling a Snape's hair cut with so many layers I've never been able to get my straight hair back. My hair remained at this short bob cut length and curled like it never curled before.


Go on, start laughing. I look like Snape, told you.


Me trying to kill children 


Me in 2006, what people dubbed as "she's lesbian!?!!???"


tryna werk that thin tail haircut in 2007

Ever since 2004, I've opted to get layered hair cuts because I liked my hair short, It was easy to tame and I didn't care what the hell I looked like because I thought it was cool. (I should get that bloody mind set back) and it continued to look like poop all the way through Secondary 1.


Me in 2008 working that bob hairdo during CNY

For a while everything seemed fine but it started to get a little overwhelmingly out of control; due to my boyish nature and everything else including my fashion sense, people were starting to think I was a lesbian and young evelyn being the uncultured swine was very upset.

Especially since I decided to go "L" because I thought he was cool and I wanted to be him.


me in my saving grace in 2008


LITERAL L

After years of short hair, I finally decided to grudgingly grow it out. It was a difficult process because I was going through some weird insecurity phrase where I thought that having short hair was gross and disgusting (though I honestly don't think that now). I saw how the other girls and their long beautiful manes and envied their hairstyles. Remember in Secondary school where the girls would cut this thin "tail" like style and I wanted that so badly. So I tried.


Chopped off my long fringe as well, giving myself the standard evelyn's bangs in mid-2008


Cutting my hair and being named "mushroom" 


hair finally grew long enough for a ponytail as well!


It wasn't easy, honestly, I felt that my hair was growing so slowly and I took matters into my own hand: I bloody got hair extensions.


They made me feel more like a GIRL and I thought I looked nice, I kept them for barely a month before I realised that most of it was dropping off (I spent a whopping $100 for 100 strands) and it was starting to becoming really strange. I took it all out by pulling strand by strand and it made me feel better. I didn't feel like I wasn't myself anymore and I felt free.

I can remember this moment, me pulling my hair out in Malacca, feeling a new renewal as I found unconditional love from my cousins who didn't give two poots about my weird hairdos and it was then when I felt like I did not ever fucking need extensions.


end 2008, in Genting


Me cosplaying in Melaka end 2008

I fell in love with the entire outlook and wasn't as self conscious as before. I guess you could honestly thank cosplaying for helping me gain some self confident that I lost somewhere along the lines as I grew up and that's probably the only thing (other than my cousin's happiness) that I was sincerely glad for.

With that in mind, I decided not to care too much about my stupid hair and just let it grow as per normal, screw the extensions and what not, I've got to let things go naturally or else I'll be just stopping the process of growth (due to the extensions). I let it grow pretty long in 2009, considering the number of times I've chopped my hair in the past few years and it looked nice.


Me at the start of 2009


Then in March, I went for a new change that would probably (actually still is) rock my world for the next few years. Cue Evelyn going for a rebond - please note my hair's thickness.

Just a hint, rebonding makes your hair straight, yes but it makes it thin as well. 


March 2009


I gradually fell in love with my hair because it looked nice and the holy fringe thing? T'WAS GONE FROM MY LIFE. I absolutely fell in love with my hair that very year and started to actually take pride in my fashion sense. It was a blessing, honestly, I have to thank my mom for that very nice idea SO THANK YOU MOM, YOU WONDERFUL WOMAN YOU.

I started taking more selfies and taking care of my looks. I was obsessed with feeling better by feeling prettier, and I started reading xiaxue (at this point) and went to so even bleach my bloody hair. In a sense, you would probably say loving yourself to that extend might be unhealthy but it was a refreshing change even though I was told I was becoming very narcissistic.

 

LOOK AT AXEL THOU (i know you're reading this joy)


I HONESTLY LOVE THIS PHOTO BECAUSE IT WAS THE START
OF A BEAUTIFUL KINSHIP


My preposterous pink hair


i think my eyelinet accidentally spilled all over my bloody eyes

I decided to dye my hair (at mid 2009) - basically making the most awful decision in my life to bleach it and now I'm stuck in a limbo where my bloody hair never can stay black anymore. Recklessness, I think, is not always a very good thing especially when you are like me and can't bloody make up your mind.


Got caught by the school, (I mean who the hell wouldn't notice this) and dyed it back to black.

THEN, the worst happened, when I decided to go cut my hair short with layers that made my hair look super thin (regret this honestly pls evelyn why). Remember that haircut where it was "cool" to cut it into layers and layers and it looked thin as hell - and somehow looked freaky cool especially to ah lians? Yep. I did that. Hello ah lian fucking phase. If I'm not wrong, all this happened on a month of July because I wanted to look hip.

Unfortunately, I did not think about how cutting my rebonded hair would make it curl. Wonderful job, evelyn. Also I bloody pierced my tongue with the help of Leonard's friend and told no one because I thought it would be cool to scare people but I took it out one night and the hole closed on itself. Damn it.
be forewarned
2010 was the year of hair disasters, god.


ME IN MID 2010


I had a love hate relationship with my hair in 2010. I loved it somedays and I hated it somedays. It was the hair that somewhat ended my relationship with a friend of mine because it wasn't long for him and for that reason I got silently dumped.

Won't go into details but I was honestly upset about that and decided to rebond my hair once more. It was then when I realised that having rebonded hair was a little love of mine and I should just keep my hair straight instead of curling around - I've got a little OCD to see my hair curl up and how it messy it looks so from that very day, I decided to stay rebonded. 

In August 2010, I straightened my hair and gave myself a slanted bangs look which changed my entire outlook of sticking to these few little quirks of my hairstyle because I got sad at the thought of losing someone just because I decided to change my hair.


this was the first time i wore contacts as well hadn't Amelia force it into my pupils


Notice how thin it has become sigh

I was pretty satisfied with what I had and had chosen never to change my hair. THEN PRE POLY DAYS CAME - after my O levels, I went haywire and bleached my entire head but it turned it really horrid I dyed it back to black. I wanted brown hair so badly but with the multiple times I had bleached and dyed, fried my entire head. 

I don't have picture because I've deleted the worst memories so you'll have to visually imagine the crap bleach hair I had for a few days before going black. Got a little sad that my hair couldn't turn burn so I WENT TO HIGHLIGHT IT. RECKLESSLY. AGAIN. WELCOME TO 2010 YEAR END MADNESS.


I got the scolding of a lifetime because I wanted my hair to be brown and not black so badly but couldn't because of the massive damage I had done to my hair - thankfully, I had the best hair stylist called Steven Lim (lol not even joking) who helped me with my entire state of mind. I was told to slowly dye my hair brown, from dark to a lighter one. 

I dyed my hair back to dark brown at the end of 2010, making it a crazy journey of bleaching for that year - enough for my lifetime I think. I still shudder at the colours I had. Told you, 2010 was the year of hair disasters.


me trying to naturally curl my hair - i look pretty alright here with curled hair

So for my secondary school years it was growing out and straightening it and for my poly years it was trying to get it into the brown that I wanted so badly. Now, mind you my hair has been going through the worst crap damage from rebonding and hair dying that it was screaming at me to get cut but I forbid myself from cutting the damage hairs because I was terrified as heck to go back to short hair for too many a reason. 


End 2010, black sad hair

Thankfully, like I said, my hair stylist was amazeballs and helped me with hair treatments as well as keeping my hair in tact and not fried like crap. Honestly, I don't know how I managed to live with such unhealthy conditions for my hair but thanks to conditioners and hair masks, I think it actually reverted back into healthy hair. SLOWLY.


hello 2011

2011 was the year I had BROWN HAIR DYES because ever since Secondary 3, I've been obsessed with trying to get bleached hair (turned out shit) and then trying to get brown - the deep dark set brown that I wanted. I went for the hair dying process for a few months before it became worth it. It was a long tiring journey of "eh not brown enough" for me for a long time.


FINALLY, at the final lap of 2011, I HAD SOMETHING THAT RESEMBLED BROWN HAIR.


IT WAS A DREAM COME TRUE! Brown hair, finally. LIGHT BROWN HAIR AFTER MONTHS AND MONTHS OF NOT HAVING BROWN - i was so satisfied. It was finally brown that you could see without shining a bloody torch at and I was happy. Delighted, in fact, plus point of having grown out my hair.

Feeling happier, I decided to try to go MORE light brown because why not, my hair was starting to frizz a little because of the colour but I didn't care! What more fun it would be to have light brown hair like the others? It's Poly, why not go crazy? 

In 2012, it was the year of "omg hun, your hair is SO BROWN" quoteth the raven.


me early jan 2012


Valentines day where I had the best date with my psychosis
my hair grows madly fast by the way


end feb and realising my hair is not straight


frizz out hair with coontails (my obsession in early march)

My hair started becoming a bit frizzy because months of rebonding had finally done the deed. I couldn't stand curled hair, however, I HAD TO REBOND and in addition, I was obsessed with coontails that very month, I went to buy coontail extensions. 

2012 MARCH ONWARDS, MY HAIR HAD GONE FROM dark brown to a light brown that made my best friend go "holyyy crap hun, your hair!"


april 2012 HOORAY LONG HAIR!


may 2012


june 2012


i can't recall the dates but it just got browner

AT THIS POINT, ever changing evelyn realises that her hair is not turning brown but BRIGHT RED instead - for some reason my hair would never stay a nice deep set brown and go red after a few weeks or even close to blonde brown.


Sept 2012


At the end of my 2012 year, I decided to go dARK brown (why evelyn, why do you even try?) and dyed my hair ash brown - which worked for me so I kept it as such.


Dec 2012

2013 was a year I realized my hair had a mind of it's own. Every two months after being dyed a dark brown, my hair would turn reddish brown, or a light blonde and it became a mantra for joy to say "goodness hun, your hair" and in reply I would sigh and say "NOT AGAIN"


dark brown in early 2013


to lighter red brown in mid 2013


back to black in mid 2013
because i couldn't stand it and just dyed my hair black and rebonded


to end 2013 with ombre hair that I didn't ask for but looked nice


My hair didn't bother me much in 2013, mostly just the sigh of regret whenever my hair would shine red or blonde in the sunlight indicating me to "QUICK JUST DYE YOUR HAIR NOW". Also learnt the POWER of hado labo hairdye and used it mostly instead of going off to the salon. IN fact, in 2013, I only went once to rebond and that was all the salon time I had - mid 2013.

2014 was the year of NEW THINGS and realizing how much I needed to rebond.


January 2014 where I realised I looked pretty nice with a longer fringe and curly locks


Ignoring my brown hair for a little only for it to go kapoot


look at how brown it is here


march 2013 where I tried to go purple BLOG POST HERE


graduation so I dyed my hair dark brown once more! april 2014


only for it to turn madly brown in MAY 2014

Dyed it back to a new dark brown black ONLY to realise that I was losing a LOT of hair. I've known my hair to be thin as heck but it was turning out to be a disaster! It was going really thin and I was growing really scared.


Started to scrub my hair with all kinds of weird junk that would "help thicken my hair" but it didn't work so well, my hair starting losing it's shit growing long and thin, and my fringe was going mad out of control. I didn't care much at first but it started to irritate me around June 2014, when my cousins came for a visit.


Got pissed with my hair and chopped it off - causing it to CURL like crazy once more. Well done, evelyn, well done you.


Fringe and hair became frizzy af once more


Thankfully, the mad hair ended that very month as well, for in the later parts of June, I went over to Melaka and rebonded my hair for a good price and loved loved loved my hair once more! It was a sign, I thought, and a tiresome bother for my to keep straightening and cutting my fringe because I could not tank long fringes. 

Realized how unrebonded hair was thicker and rebonded was much thinner as well, and sighed a long hard dog sigh when they are sad. It was a sign that future me would have to maintain this shit and god forbid I have to go to Melaka every few months for a rebond.


rebonded in melaka end June 2014


Well it was smooth sailing after that for my hair, though the colour remained a light brown, I kept my hairstyle uncut and with the straightening out of my messy hair, it was obedient and did not flip out by giving me blonde locks which i honestly abhor right now. this was the time when I started on a new thickening shampoo which bloody works wonders (will blog about it soon)

THEN IT HAPPENED, the day I decided that I needed something punky, no, SPUNKY with my hairdo.

I dyed my hair green in September 2014.


Honestly? I LOVED IT SO MUCH.
NO BLEACH, USED ALPHINE GREEN LA RICHE

BUT, it was a trial on how long green hair would last on me. The fringe stayed green but the rest turned black within three days - I cry everytime. It was fun having green hair, but perhaps it was a bit too green and I didn't like the fact my hair was green up top and black at the bottom so I decided to just go black and STAY BLACK.


And I came to a conclusion that the green in my hair neutralizes the reds and bleached browns - TURNING MY HAIR INTO A VERY GOOD OBEDIENT MOFO that never turned any of those horrid colours ever again. Thank you, alpine green for creating this miracle. My hair remained a good nice dark brown though not black, I was delighted by it and let my hair just grow out.

The rest of 2014? Well, it became one of the best hairdos in my damn life until my fringe lost it's shit and grew - my hair grows rapidly so I have to maintain it and if I don't, the fringe will swallow my face whole.


In END December 2014, I returned to Melaka to once more rebond my hair because I had chopped my fringe and it was short and curly af so rushed down to get my hair done! Happy with the results because it means I can leave it to grow as long as I want.


Look at my good hair not turning mad brown finally in my life

FINALLY IN 2015, I'M HAPPY WITH MY HAIR COLOUR, HAIR LENGTH AND HAIR CONDITION. Hopefully it grows out because I do like longer fringes but I'm completely satisfied with the hair I have at the moment. 

I never did cut it since the 2014 of June so I guess it grew out pretty long. 

As of January 2015, well, you'll just have to see for yourself.


Happy healthy straight locks with no blonde colour whatsoever


my fringe grows super fast as well

AND THAT'S IT FOR MY HAIR TIMELINE. 

I will be dying it green again - but until then I'm super satisfied with my hair as of now, hoping it grow it out and maybe cut and rebond in May when I return to Melaka once more.

My hair is basically me, the entire time my hair lost it's shit (2010, when I just lost my shit) I guess I never really did take much care for it because my own life was going a little off track. Don't do anything crazy to your hair if you are afraid of losing your hair - I guess you could say I'm still traumatized from losing someone dear just because I didn't have "the hair". Honestly that's bull crap but it still stings me whenever I decide to go cut my hair.

Nowadays it doesn't affect me so, thankfully, because I have the bestest friends who don't give two shits. They love me for who I am and I love them for who they are!

 Change is imminent, you have to understand to love yourself first.

THANK YOU ALL for reading all this bullcrap probably bored out of your wits looking at my face for so long but I hope you guys enjoyed my entire timeline of crazy hairstyles! Will blog about how I managed to make my thinning hair become what it is today and if you forgot, here's a side by side comparison.



I have the messiest timeline and probably the messiest hair if not maintained. Well, I had fun doing this, I'll see you guys soon for another cafe post.

xoxo
evelyn



You Might Also Like

0 comments