[SERIES] Her OC:DC Mewland

 


Hello, my forest friends! 

Welcome to part two of the OC:DC series, a series where I dissect my old own created characters and figure out what makes them tick. If you haven't seen part one, please direct your attention here. 

Are you ready? Because this OC is just as cringe-worthy (if not more) than the previous one. At least her name doesn't have an awful stereotypical Japanese Naruto OC vibe to it. And she doesn't have a clan - I think.

Before we start, this character is not a human. Obviously. It's not even "loosely" based on an animal. It is a literal Mew. Yes, the pokemon mew. I created this character in hopes that I could spin an entire yarn about how there's an actual alternative universe where humans are now Mews with special unique powers. Oh, and they are all named after Raw Crystals (except Crystal) because 15-year-old Evelyn couldn't figure out what else to name them all. 

Everyone, meet Sapphire.


The basics:

Name: 
Sapphire 

Age: 15 'Mew' years old

Place of birth: Mewland

Birthday: 5 Feb 

Occupation: Warrior

Siblings: None

Physical appearance: 

Sapphire is literally a Mew. Mews are small, catlike Pokémon with small, pointed ears, blue eyes, a long, thin tail with a large bulge at the end, and large feet with three toes. It is covered with a layer of fine, pink hair, only visible with the aid of a microscope. It has extremely short arms with three fingers on each paw and has small, orange paw pads on the undersides of its feet.

Unlike the actual Pokemon, Mews are more humanoid looking here with no flying abilities or the power to use HM01 CUT. Sapphire dons her favourite dark drab-looking jeans and usually pairs them with her favourite T-shirt, either her (ironically) "Pokemon Red" or a loose looking white tee that she refuses to part ways with because it's basically her baby blanket. She has multiple piercings on her left ear although she only wears a single cuff. Her tail is usually adorned with silver looking bracelets and she wears sneakers. Yes. Sneakers. Converse Sneakers.

Personality:

Sapphire is an outspoken and excitable Mew, she is confident, loyal and intelligent but often borders on being a know-it-all. She is blunt and her tongue is as sharp as a razor, not willing to hold it for anyone or anything. While she can be seen as sarcastic and arrogant sometimes, her friends all insist that that's just a farce - that there's a softie under all that aggressive yowling.  

Good personality traits: Intelligent, outspoken, confident, loyal, friendly, enthusiastic

Bad personality traits: Sarcastic, arrogant, aggressive, blunt, doesn't think before she speaks

Character's greatest joy in life: Hanging out with her friends

Character's greatest fear: Betrayal

What single event would most throw this character's life into complete turmoil: The single betrayal of her best friend, Amethyst

Life motto: As long as we're together, we can conquer mountains.

Skills: One of the first mews to receive her powers, she has the ability to control the lightning element. 

Storyline (Book 1):

Sapphire was just a normal Mew until she got struck by (you guessed it) lightning. As a kid, she was playing out in the front yard when lightning struck, causing a deep scar on her head. She joins a school club with other Mews who had gotten special abilities and some who didn't. They called themselves Mewland Heroes. The club consisted mainly of people with abilities; Sapphire, Diamond, Crystal and Tobi - and the people without abilities, Darius, Jeremiah, Amethyst and Ruby. This phenomenon happened when lightning struck a few chosen Mews and created both villainous and heroic Mews. They went on various adventures from something humorous like stopping a mall fire started by Crystal (heh) or stopping a couple of villains from misusing their powers. 

From their adventures, the Mewland Heroes find themselves facing a powerful adversary - Chronos. Chronos was the main antagonist of the series that followed (we wrote 4) and a jealous Mew who refused to accept that he wasn't chosen with any power. Instead, in a mad-scientist way created a machine to absorb all the Mews with had abilities. In his arsenal, he had Silver, a professional archer, Sealyah, an assassin and Moonlight, a mysterious Mew who claimed to be magic. 

These were Mewland Heroes' opposing forces. However, I can only remember two plots so bear with me. Other than destroying Chronos' machine, there were two other subplots happening. Amethyst, a loner who had joined the Mewland club much later was found out to be a trained assassin and a successor to Sealyah, her old mentor. She was internally distraught when she found out she had to kill her former mentor but did it anyway to protect her newfound friends. She learns the power of *friendship* and feels a strange sort of warmth when Sapphire finds her struggling with her guilt, who sits down and finally gets to understand Amethyst as an actual mew. 

Another subplot was the story of Sapphire and Moonlight. Sapphire's greatest foe wasn't Chronos, in fact, she always thought Chronos was a young impudent child who couldn't grow up, that he wasn't dangerous at all without any abilities. Her main goal was to find out who Moonlight was, the strange mysterious Mew who was part of the villainous group. Moonlight was extremely skilled and he had an odd ability that he kept under wraps. He could control time for a few seconds, reversing it or freezing it - but it caused him to deteriorate every time he used those skills. Moonlight (sighhhhhh) had a soft spot for Sapphire but he kept her at arm's length, refusing to fight for the "greater good" or even fight her. At the end, where Moonlight sacrifices himself for Sapphire, she realises he was a childhood friend who always watched out for her, who chose to stay in the shadows in order not to hurt her. She also learns that he wasn't struck by that special lightning and was born with the ability - unfortunately she is unable to learn more about him because he stupidly blocks a laser gun for Sapphire, and gets knocked off the cliff. 

In the end, Chronos escapes and Silver joins the Mewland Heroes team, realising that no good can come from being bad (lmao). He also becomes Crystal's love interest, caught in a love triangle between Jeremiah and her. 

AND THAT'S ONLY BOOK 1. I wrote four more books by the way. There's more. I might pen them down another time. 

Favourites: 

Colour: Black

Least favourite colour: Pink

Food: Milk

Form of entertainment: Reading

Relationships with others: 

Opinion of other people in general: She is friendly and amiable being able to lead the Mewland Heroes as their leader. She keeps Crystal under her wing and helps her mostly with her relationship troubles. She used to dislike Amethyst but gradually opens up to the other mew, realising that she was just misunderstood. 

Does the character hide his/her true opinions and emotions from others?: Sapphire is mostly friendly but seems to have grown a distaste for Mews without abilities who want one. After witnessing Moonlight's death, she vows to find out the truth behind the Mew who was born with abilities. Only Amethyst finds out about her plans much later in the series and is upset that Sapphire did not tell anyone what happened up at Chronos' tower. 

Person character most hates: Chronos

Best friend(s): Amethyst, Crystal

Love interest(s): Moonlight 


Can you believe I wrote 4 books on this? I wrote it during my secondary school days when I was bored out of my wits and refused to pay attention in class. I co-wrote it actually, with a former friend of mine, we would exchange the book after every few days to continue different chapters. It was honestly fun. I was testing out world building but most of the characters were the same - based on my friends, based on my cousins and sibling. 

OBVIOUSLY, some stuff doesn't make sense here. How did Sapphire get a scar from a lightning strike? Why the hell is Chronos younger than Sapphire but somehow the world's biggest villain? Why are there assassins and archers when they are MEWS? I didn't think some of the plot holes through because I was more interested in exploring the plots of Amethyst and Sapphire. It was co-written by quite literally the people based on Amethyst and Sapphire.

Sapphire's character traits don't differ much from my first OC, Haraku, but she's more determined here, and less mary-sue considering she does not manage to defeat her foes easily. She's more down to earth but still has the mary-sue qualities of being a CHILD that leads an entire team to fight the big bad. Obviously, it doesn't come easy and she struggles but that's still pretty unbelievable. 

At this stage of my life, I found myself growing out the childlike innocence. Sapphire is less innocent, happy-go-lucky and contemplates the morality of life - and the underlying racism between (mutant and humans lol) Mews with abilities and those without. Like Sapphire, I too started to read more in between the lines of how people would behave and note that down when I was writing characters like Moonlight and even Chronos, who had an actual tragic abusive family story - no more were they just "bad" because - they had their reasons. I guess there's when I started enjoying more fleshed out 3D characters who had motivations and struggles. 

I was still mostly quiet during my first few secondary school days but I found solace in another friend. Amethyst made me feel less like a shy girl and more like the leader of a team of warriors, feeling accepted that I could be louder and free. I became less shy and more talkative during my secondary school years, being part of what the kids would've called the 'popular crowd' for a while. I lost Amethyst when I hung out with the popular girls so most of the angst that happened in the book felt almost real. Sapphire not understanding why Amethyst would be mad when she hung out with Crystal and Ruby more - Sapphire feeling guilty when she saw Amethyst alone wandering the school corridors - Sapphire finally realising that Amethyst was lonely and just wanted a friend. 

Sapphire is a more complex character that shared my school woes. A lot of friendship was gained and lost during this period of my life and I guess I used my book series to cope with it. While I had lost a lot of friends, I felt like I had made one who would be there for my entire life - the same way Sapphire felt about Amethyst. 

Guess things don't last, Sapp. 

xo
evelyn




You Might Also Like

0 comments