Battle of the best chicken wings! (Chicken Up VS Two Wings)
WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD?
If you answered with "to get to the other side", here's a clap for your creativity.
You see, the chicken even crossed the South China sea as well as the East China sea to tempt our taste buds with the ever popular Korean fried chicken! (badum-tiss)
Hello FRIED CHICKEN, the sinful pleasure of all Singaporeans. Who can resist the ever delectable smell of that rich savoury aroma?
We love to salivate over these crunchy fried delights! From the ever popular Har cheong gai hawker centre chickens to our very own bbq party chicken feast, Fried chicken has always been a speciality in our Singapore food culture! But as you sit here and read my post, we all ask the same question in our heads:Which is the best chicken wing stall in Singapore?
Well, this is subjective of course, but we all know which specific stalls holds the longest queues of the century AND as you know, in Singapore, if the queue is long, the food is probably good.
As a huge fan of fried chicken, I've been to many different fried chicken stalls and tasted quite a number of incredible titillating delights but today for this special blog post, I'll be reviewing Two Wing's chickens but with an interesting take!
With you as the judge, I'll be battling out the few fried chicken stalls that set the bar truly sky high! (stop making bird puns, evelyn)
In these next posts that I have lined up on my blog, I'm going to do a comparison between all the more well known famous Fried Chicken stalls - with trend setting Korean Fried chicken to the ever famous Buffalo style chicken wings, you can decide which of these Fried Chicken Wings is the winner!
For the first post, I'm going to review the one and only (ever queue worthy) Chicken up and placing it against Two Wings!
Let the first battle commence!
First up, the mainstream and most commonly heard brand - Chicken up!
Do you know that Korean Chicken is extremely unique and different from the typical American fried chicken? Twice the crunch and lesser grease, the delicious chicken is usually coated with sweet, savoury garlic or spicy marinade: sounds tempting, but hold your wings (get it?)!
The one that shone the fad limelight, the one and only Chicken up! Located at various locations now, the even have a mini outlet at Bugis Street for takeaway meals! Known for their Chicken buffet (though it's apparently discontinued), the patrons line up to get a taste of their appetising Spicy Up chicken wings and their array of menu choices - from Bingsu to Tteokbokki!
In my opinion, for the best fried chicken experience, get their Gangjang wings! Coated with a nectarous amount of soy garlic, their crispy and crunch is a pleasant surprise in your mouth!

What's great about Chicken Up?
+ Wide variety of choices! You can choose from Spicy Up chicken to YangNyum to Andong Stew or even Suicide chicken! With all these unique choices, you can definitely expand that tang of tasty in your tongues! Not forgetting their soju woop!
+ Their chicken's crispy skin gets an A from me! With the leans and moist meat that's just succulent, their chicken marinade is well seasoned!
+ Numerous outlets! With the onslaught of customers always queuing up, they built up various outlets to counter the crowd!
What's not so great about Chicken Up?
- The fact that they discontinued their beer and chicken buffet. (angry grunt)
- If you are an impatient person, you will not like the way you have wait for your seats and your food. Sure their chicken is pleasurable, but you will have to wait for them to fry up your batch and that takes a while.
- Not all outlets are consistent in the flavour. The last time I went to the Tampines branch, their gangjang chicken turned out rather meh for me - it was so badly seasoned and the chicken wasn't cooked properly ew.
- EXPENSIVE, very expensive.
I would score it on it's authentic-ness but I have never been to Korea to try their fried chicken, but if I DID, I'm pretty sure it would taste like chicken up's amazing mouthwatering delight.
- EXPENSIVE, very expensive.
I would score it on it's authentic-ness but I have never been to Korea to try their fried chicken, but if I DID, I'm pretty sure it would taste like chicken up's amazing mouthwatering delight.
Next up, our contender, Two wings!
In fact Two Wings had been all the hype last year but I never got to check it out (sad face)
With a huge lot of salute (geddit, because it's from salute kopitam) from Bloggers and customers alike, Two Wings has been the talk of the town ever since it appeared! The ever amazing "old grandfather's recipe" has shone the spotlight on Two Wings; stall owner Jeremy has learnt the secret family recipe and fine tuned it into something incredibly enticing.
Having a wide variety of finger food and huge chicken wings that really honestly tower over Chicken up's gangjang chicken, Two Wings is a truly strong contender in all aspects. Unlike the Korean Fried Chicken, the chicken at Two Wings is not marinated with any sort of garlic sauce or spice, but fried to perfection - having delicious crunchy skin on the outside and well cooked moist meat on the inside.
Not to forget to mention that they have their very own homemade chili sauce which honestly, even as a person who can't take spice in general, I found it extremely savoury and it truly does peak the flavours of the chicken.
Located at both Bukit Merah Lane, Salute coffeeshop and Essen, the food court at the base of Pinnacle at Duxton; I'm pretty bushed that there's only two stalls in Singapore! How could that be? Means the queues gonna be really long on the weekends, huh?
Thankfully, when I went over to Essen at 2pm in the afternoon, the food court was scarce of any sort of human beings - internally screaming in happiness - as I tasted my very first bite of Two Wings Chicken! (Just a note, other bloggers mentioned how the queues are long because it's usually crowded during the weekends. Want to avoid the crowd? Try a weekday afternoon!)
What's so great about Two Wings?(as compared to Chicken up)
+ Two wings, because one wing isn't enough! Their chicken is truly HUGE and honestly, even without any garlic Korean sauce, it tastes amazing! Crackling crispy skin and filled with fleshy sweet succulent flesh, my gosh, you gotta be there to try it.
+ A variety of finger foods such as SPAM FRIES (AHAHHHHHAHHHH), cheese fries, even salads and soup, their menu is filled with truly a variety of choices. Sadly, i can't finish them all.
+ It's amazing how affordable the wings actually are. Compared to Chicken Up, SGD $8.50 for 4 pieces and $12.50 for 6 pieces, the size of the wings is even bigger than my entire hand - like WHAT?
What's not so great about Two Wings?(as compared to Chicken up)
- Unlike Chicken up, Two Wings does not serve up Soju or beer - BUT since it's located at a food court with other stalls selling beer, I guess you could make do with that.
- Only available at two locations why?! I've heard that the Bukit Merah's stall is usually rather crowded from other bloggers. If you hate waiting, you might want to come here on a weekday instead.
- Kinda greasy as compared to Chicken Up's chicken. Finger licking good though, even though I'm not a fan of licking my own fingers. HAHA.
- Unlike Chicken Up's massive menu of different spiced up chicken wings, Two wings does not have different flavoured chicken!
Ultimately, if you were to compare Two Wings with any other American styled chicken wing (like IKEA or KFC), this delicious crispy meal wins hands down. But if you were to compare Chicken Up with Two wings, I can only offer a few minor differences between one another.
- Two Wings chickens are crispier, cruncher than Chicken Up's.
- Chicken Up has a larger variety of chicken wings flavours to pick from.
- Two Wings is much greaser as compared to Chicken Up's.
- Chicken Up's chicken is considerably more expensive. (GST guys, be warned.)
Now with all the points in tact, I would like to just add a little bit from my personal experience; though it does not affect the taste of the chicken, I'd like to just put in a little opinion from me: CHICKEN UP'S SERVICE ISN'T AS GOOD AS TWO WINGS. Yes, I understand that this is nothing to do with Two Wings and maybe Tajong Pagar's Chicken Up branch is busy, but hell, their service is really bad compared to Two wings.
Perhaps it's just the branch's busy-ness that day but the woman who served us had the worst frown on her face and didn't even bother to explain to us why the buffet got discontinued or how it was - honestly a really bad experience for me.
So that's all for part one, you can decide which one wins this battle before we head on to the next post of the Battle of the best chicken wings!
Until then, stay fresh and funky!
xoxo
evelyn



0 comments