Books actually

I'm going to blog daily to try to revive my blog back up once more.

Quick random thought of the day before I continue the adventure I had this afternoon. Recently, I've been very petrified over thinking about death - people around me dying: because I'm not ready for any loss just yet.

Once you've lost something dear to you, you don't just adapt through that feeling and live through another loss - I think for me, it's more of an irrational fear of losing someone and regretting not doing enough for them (spending enough time/telling them you love them). Recently I've seen too many things happen unconventionally and I get a little terrified when I realize that people die everyday.

Of course it's a natural process of life, though we do not exactly live to die. Appreciation takes time and I'm afraid I don't have enough of it - for the people I love and the people who love me. What's going to happen after they are gone? Or me? What's going to happen to them if I go? Will they handle it? Can I undertake it?

I'm 20 and I am stuck at my own crossroads because I've never really thought of things like death. I used to be selfish and stuck up and the idea of dying came as something familiar to me: I used to think that it was better if I died. (Don't gasp, I'm sure some of you have been through this phase or said this in your head/or directly outspoken it before)

I plague my head with stupid thoughts of omg what if this happened/that happened - I'm no supergirl, I cannot revive the dead or save anyone. I wish I could. I see the poor around and feel utterly sad for them - I do not know how to approach them without looking like an awkward teenager and even if I did, how could I help them?

It's all part and parcel of life, my head tells me, but I wish I could do something more.

I see the homeless, the beggars, the old people selling tissues for some cash - there's so much wrong in this life but yet there's a reason for everything. From what I believe in, this isn't right yet it isn't wrong either.

I know I'm not ready to lose someone, nor ready to die myself: but things happen in life. Unfair sad cruel things that happens to everyone; it's queer this life and I have to tell myself that I have to appreciate what I have now and balance it with my own happiness.

It's not easy I can tell you that.

It's only nature that your light will be put out when it has to be, and there's no stopping it.



And now for some uplifting stories today. I was supposed to wake up at 9am but my handphone was a butt (so was the lazy me) and ended up crawling out of my bed at 10am or something. Initially planned to meet the woman early and make breakfast but hell my body clock is a mess.

Rushed over after splashing my face with water and running around the house grabbing my canned soup, my bag, clothes and strawberries before dashing out of the house like an insane woman ready for some food war.

Want to know how we best friends work? We basically can wear PJS to each other's places and neither of us will even judge the other or even speak about our outer wear. We can also just walk inside say hello honey and just waddle to the toilet for a bath.

Yep. That's what I did because I didn't want to waste time bathing at home and just go over for breakfast. So while I was bathing in ice cold morning water, Joy was making breakfast (I haven't had a Joy Lee breakfast in eons)

Came out to see a lovely spread on the table.


The both of us grabbed our cameras and just started snapping photos. No questions or judging - that's how we do this shit.



Jealous? Marvellous spread that you can never find anywhere - by golly it even looks like some breakfast menu from a cafe. Soup, scrambled eggs, biscotti and strawberries; combined with vanilla french tea. Sounds good and tastes equally good.


We went to settle some stuff at Paya Lebar before deciding to randomly sit an MRT randomly to Bugis to do some window shopping. Honestly neither of us were equipped with enough money to shop but we did so anyway - starting with a cardigan that caught Joy's eye and me catching on to it.


We need money management. But those cardigans make us look really cosy - but not in this fuckery weather my friends.

Window shopped and got some nice smelling hand sanitizers for $2.00 at watsons along with that new vaseline whitening cream thing that I'm going to try and see whether it actually does work or not (fingers crossed will do a review soon)

After reliving memories at an arcade and trying to restrain this woman from buying mens clothes; I had to go off to meet Samuel for another adventure (of course after a bunch of selfies of ourselves lol sorry)


Quick random note: the MRT I took sounded like it was about to explode and half the time I was freaking my shit out. I have irrational fears, sue me. Should've gotten my earpiece out for some music.

So Samuel suggested to go to Tiong Bahru for eighteen chefs and I, cafe hopping - a horrid choice I made, the despicable weather ruined made the entire hunt very much tiring and we were both sweating like mad dogs. The man suggested going to this small bookstore called "Books actually"

AND OF COURSE nigels got lost in the sun. The hazy sunny weather and a tired me do not forbid well. We travelled in circles and circles until google maps saved our bums to the most beautiful place on earth.


I love books. Literature books, art books, anything I can read and absorb knowledge into - stories of fantasy adventures or real life philosophy, give it all to me. This store has literally everything hipster in it, the insides were beautiful but I didn't take a lot of pictures, I was more immersed in the books.

Hey, sometimes things are meant for the eyes not the lens.


Rows and rows of books of all kinds. Even though I was already half beaten, I went around browsing through some lovely reads and just staring in awe at the entire bookstore - man I want to work there but it seemed like it was a full house (according to Samuel) 

Heck, another time maybe. 


It's smallish but piled high with many story books of poetry and fantasy. Give me all the time in the world to read them all - I wish I could but non. Hard covered and soft covered books all from second hand to brand new best sellers all ranging from $2 - above $40. 

Postcards and nick nacks, adorable vintage typewriters, it's a beautiful place to hide in the hot sun and to just relax with a book I swear. Books are my best friends. 

In fact it's not only this store. With cafes all around the old tiong estate, you basically feel like some you are walking around an indie hipster townsquare, complete with old brick houses and small quirky design stalls. 


Weird posters put up on the walls nearby the quirky stalls.

After the book eye fucking fiesta and still under the horrid sun, we went over to the mall to shelter in air con as well as finally get to eat eighteen chefs after the simei one closed down (honestly I'm not sure if it is, it seems like it but I have never gone to check if it is really shut down)


Cheesy pasta rice with sausage, omelette and msuhrooms, top up with lemon tea and ice cream for students - why not, we're going to graduate soon, might as well use our student advantages lololol. 


Also dark horse by katy perry started playing and its still stuck in my freaking head; I am sorry Samuel, but that shit is really catchy for some weird reason.

A long bus ride home and we headed out for starbucks because Jed. Just because.


The ballsack of Jed ordered a cotton candy frappe (mm tasty) while Samuel ordered a  mint tea. Both equally nice choices I'd admit but not necessarily nice together. 

So that's my thursday and now i really need to bathe because I have vaseline on my skin I have yet to wash out. 



Love, Evelyn

PS. Yesterday's post I totally forgot to put an "N" to my name but I'm lazy to change it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments